Many of us throw an emoji or two in a text or social media message to help get our point across. But do you ever wonder how emojis came about and why we pick certain ones over others? We speak with three experts about their rise in popularity and reflection of different cultures and generations.
- Dr. Linda Kaye, psychology professor at Edge Hill University
- Marcel Danesi, professor of anthropology at the University of Toronto and author of The Semiotics of Emoji: The Rise of Visual Language in the Age of the Internet
- Dr. Thomas Daniel, assistant professor at Westfield State University
Links for more information:
- Linda Kaye, PhD – Edge Hill University
- The Semiotics of Emoji: The Rise of Visual Language in the Age of the Internet – Bloomsbury Publishing