Extreme heat is plaguing the West this Labor Day weekend – especially throughout much of California, Arizona and Nevada. For California, a state in the middle of fire season, this extreme heat poses an elevated risk for hazardous conditions. This year’s wildfires in California are already worse than last year with still months left in peak fire season. This week on Viewpoints – we explore the growing climate challenges facing Californians and what the future holds for The Golden State.
- Stephen Pyne, fire expert, emeritus professor, School of Life Sciences, Arizona State University
- Kendra Atleework, writer, author, Miracle Country: A Memoir
Links for more information:
- The Department of Forestry and Fire Protection in California
- The Washington Post: Labor Day Heatwave
- Review: In ‘Miracle Country,’ Kendra Atleework pays tribute to her rural California roots
- Twitter: @StephenJPyne