Hurricane Laura quickly ramped up to a Category 4 hurricane late last month and was the strongest storm to hit the Louisiana coast in more than a 160 years. During the Atlantic hurricane season each year, the most powerful systems typically form between the end of August and early October. We speak with two experts to learn about some of the hurricanes recorded through history and the destruction they wreak on millions each year.
- Eric Jay Dolin, writer, author, Furious Sky: The Five Hundred Year History of America’s Hurricanes
- Dr. Barry Keim, Louisiana state climatologist, professor, Department of Geography & Anthropology, Louisiana State University
Links for more information:
- NOAA: Hurricane and Tropical Storm Watch/Warning Breakpoints
- National Hurricane Center on Twitter: @NHC_Atlantic
- Red Cross: Hurricane Relief