In 2016, President Trump ran on a platform that vowed to deport all of the undocumented immigrants in the country. However, four years later and this population is still relatively the same. Is it a practical plan to deport millions who have lived in the U.S. for more than a decade, are law-abiding and fill important jobs that would otherwise be vacant?
- Richard Hanus, immigration attorney.
Links for more information:
- Pew Research Center: 5 facts about illegal immigration in the U.S.
- Pew Research Center: Mexicans decline to less than half the U.S. unauthorized immigrant population for the first time.
- Brookings.edu: How many undocumented immigrants are in the United States and who are they?
- The New York Times: After a Pandemic Pause, ICE Resumes Deportation Arrests.