According to the Environmental Protection Agency, greenhouse gases trap heat in the atmosphere leading to a warmer planet. The largest source of greenhouse gas emissions due to human activities is from burning fossil fuels like coal, oil and natural gas for electricity, heat and transportation. In recent years, the increasingly dry and warm climate in the U.S. has led to extreme fires, record drought and more severe hurricanes. So, what can be done to alter the path we’re currently on and make renewable energy (that results in less emissions) widely accessible for everyone?
- Dr. Jennie C. Stephens, director and professor, School of Public Policy and Urban Affairs, Northeastern University, author, Diversifying Power.
Links for more information:
- Energy Industry Spotlight
- Fossil fuel political giving outspends renewables 13 to one
- Resource to Look At Political Spending: OpenSecrets
- Twitter: @jenniecstephens