Compulsive buying disorder affects around five percent of Americans. With prime shopping season fully underway, the number of ads and limited-time deals already popping up can lead to several unneeded purchases. We speak with psychologist, Dr. Michael Vilensky about how retailers get you to keep buying and what to do if you feel like you’re shopping is getting to be a problem.
- Dr. Michael Vilensky, psychologist, The Ohio State University’s Wexner Medical Center.
Links for more information:
- Healthline: What is shopping addiction?
- GoodTherapy: Compulsive Spending / Shopping
- Psychology Today: Find A Therapist
- National Retail Federation: NRF says consumers continue to drive economy, forecasts retail sales will grow 3.5 percent to 4.1 percent