From abrupt changes in gravity to galactic cosmic radiation, astronauts face numerous challenges as they push to explore further into the unknown. Dr. Emmanuel Urquieta, from the Center for Space Medicine at the Baylor College of Medicine, joins Viewpoints this week to help us understand some of the health impacts of spending time in space and the hurdles that come with longer missions like sending humans to Mars.
- Dr. Emmanuel Urquieta, chief medical officer, Translational Research Institute for Space Health, assistant professor, Center for Space Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine
Links for more information:
- NASA: The Human Body in Space: What Happens?
- Duke Center of Applied Genomics & Precision Medicine: Houston, We Have an Eye Problem.
- NASA: The Translational Research Institute for Space Health (TRISH).
- NASA: Why Space Radiation Matters.