Many people are worried that non-native plants and animals are invading the U.S. and preventing native species from thriving. Each year, a lot of money and time is spent trying to rid the land of these aliens – often to no avail. But, are these species present because they’re the only ones that can exist in that environment? Are some plants and animals actually helping to create a more diverse and robust ecosystem? And are some native species really native to the U.S.? Our guests offer up a different perspective on the invasive species debate.
- Fred Pearce, science journalist, researcher, author of The New Wild: Why Invasive Species Will Be Nature’s Salvation.
- Tao Orion, permaculture educator, author of Beyond the War on Invasive Species: A Permaculture Approach to Ecosystem Restoration.
Links for more information:
- New York Times: Invasive Species Aren’t Always Unwanted.
- PBS: Native or invasive species? The distinction blurs as the world warms.
- Resilience Permaculture Design LLC.
- Beacon Press: Why Invasive Species Will Be Nature’s Salvation.