Millions of Americans put off going to a doctor or hospital because they’re afraid of the high cost of care. Depending on your insurance, one MRI scan can cost upwards of a thousand dollars. One trip to the emergency room can mean thousands of dollars in charges that people can’t afford to pay. So, what’s driving these sky-high prices? How can people negotiate down these hefty bills?
- Lisa Rossi, patient
- Marshall Allen, investigative journalist, ProPublica, author, Never Pay the First Bill: And Other Ways to Fight the Health Care System and Win.
Links for more information:
- Fair Health Consumer: Estimate your healthcare expenses.
- National Patient Advocate Foundation
- VUMC: Department of Neurology
- Twitter: @marshall_allen
- Amazon: Never Pay the First Bill: And Other Ways to Fight the Health Care System and Win