Tensions between the people of Hong Kong and the Chinese communist government are quickly escalating. With the proposal of a new national security law in late May further tightening China’s grip on the semi-autonomous territory of Hong Kong, the region is at a crucial tipping point. The act of protesting is deeply rooted in Hong Kong’s history and millions are once again heading to the streets to fight for their civil liberties and political democracy.
Links for Additional Info:
- New York Times: Protesters in Hong Kong Rally Against China’s Tightening Grip
- CNN: Hong Kong Residents Defy Government Order
- The New Yorker: Amid the Pandemic, Is Hong Kong Facing a Different Kind of Death?
- CNN Business: Hong Kong’s trading relationship with US at risk
- The Atlantic: ‘The End of Hong Kong as We Know It’